2018 Goal: Marathon

In 2018 I set the goal to run a marathon. Why? was a question I was asked many times.  Why would you want to run 26 miles.  What fun is that?  As a P.E. teacher I wanted to improve my fitness and push myself.  I started following people like Cameron Hanes and David Goggins on social media and it intrigued me the way they could run miles upon miles and make it look so easy.  I also figured running would be a way I could get physically fit while at the same time increase mental toughness and the only equipment  needed is a pair of shoes.  Its not like other activities such as cycling where you have to invest a grand on a decent bike or unload a bunch of money on a gym membership. 

I actually started late 2017 running and getting myself in shape.  Before Christmas 2017 I did a 10 mile run and that was the longest I ever done at the time and I felt pretty confident when I finished, so I set my sites on a half marathon to see how I could do.  I began 2018 with the Extra Yard 5k that took place the weekend of the NCAA National Championship between Alabama and Georgia in Atlanta.  Later in the month of January I would really challenge myself running in the Museum of Aviation half marathon.  Looking back I was so ill equipped, I ran with a cheap hydration pack I bought on Amazon which flopped all over the place and I had no idea that I needed some sort of supplement for energy, but I ended up running with a time of 2:12:25 placing 5th in the 35-39 age group which I was fairly pleased with.

I have ran 5k's in the past, but I completed more races in 2018 than I ever done in my life.  I placed in the top ten in a few races and on July 4th placed third in my age group in the Firecracker 5k on Amelia Island, ran my first 10k at the Labor day road race in Macon (finished under an hour), and my best finish was 1st in my age group in the Veterans day race over in Tuscaloosa, Al.  All of these races were to prepare for the big one. 

My friend and training partner, Will and I headed to Huntsville December 8th to run our peak race and what we were training for all year long, the Rocket City Marathon. Weather reports predicted we would be running 26.2 in 40 degree weather with 100% chance of rain and they were right. Not to mention, Huntsville sits smack in the middle of the lower Appalachians.   Ponchos on, we toed the starting line and we were off.  Our goal was to run it in 4.5 hrs.  Mark Durant, the Black Hawk Down survivor spoke the night before the big race and said his goal was to beat Oprah who ran the Marine Corp Marathon in 4:29 so I immediately adopted the same goal at the last minute.  We started hot with a 9 min pace for close to ten miles.  At mile ten, my knee was shot like a knife was digging in the side of it.  Something was wrong.  I had zero pain in my knees all year but at that moment I felt like my race could be over.  I pushed through it and battled the pain but we could not keep the same pace we were going.  Weather predication held true, but at mile 18, the rain began to slack off some, so I threw the poncho off.  I realized quickly how that thin sheet of plastic was actually keeping me warm.  My knee went through ups and downs during the race where I could feel pain and at times and then none at all.  Around mile 22 I believe I hit the proverbial "Wall" that marathoners speak of.  I had severe hunger and borderline nausea.  Thankfully some volunteers had an unofficial aide station that had a spring vibe to it and they had tons of sweets.  I loaded up and put some extra in my pockets.  It saved me.  One minute I felt like I was going to vomit and the next I was sprinting to catch up to Will.  Through the rain and cold, the whole vibe of the race was a positive encouraging atmosphere.  One of my favorite parts of the race was running through neighborhoods where children were watching with their parents and I would jog over and give them a high five.   

Will and I stayed together or with in eye sight of each other the whole  race and finished what we set out to accomplish.  I did not beat Oprah's time, but we actually ran the pace we trained for all year.  My finishing time was 4:56:36.   Following the race I could barely walk, it was almost comical.  We finished inside an arena and had to walk up stairs to exit.  I know, it was cruel and unusual punishment. 
It felt great to set out and accomplish a goal like a marathon.  I believe the accountability involved in having a running partner and sticking to a plan improved me as a person all around to be honest.  The mental fortitude of going out and doing what you need to do even if weather conditions are not favorable or running even when your muscles are sore helped us on race day for sure but will also benefit me in other times down the road when life gets hard.  Overall I raced in three different states and six different cities.  Would I do it again?  You bet!  In October of 2018, when applications for the Chicago Marathon opened, I applied, and December 11th I found out I was accepted.  New goal for 2019, Run the Chicago Marathon!!  The journey continues....

Help me reach the starting line By Clicking Here

Comments

Popular Posts