Running Pains (Iliotibial band and Plantar Fasciitis)

If you told me a year ago that I could get injured running, I would have laughed in your face.  Yeah sore muscles and getting out of breath I get, but injured running?  It happens apparently, especially when you are 6'1" and hovering around 220 lbs like I am.

Mistakes I made early on were not investing in proper footwear for longer distances and not cross training my lower body during marathon preparation.  I am paying for it and dreading how it will impact this coming year for the Chicago Marathon.

I have in one way or another been involved in athletics and sports since childhood whether I was playing or coaching and the injuries I received in the past year I honestly never even heard of.

Plantar Fasciits 
Image result for plantar fasciitis
Do you see the circle and the redness?  It feels like a knife is being jabbed into my foot!!  Amazingly this pain went away right before my marathon in December, but it is back and making my life unpleasant.  I can honestly say I know why my wife wanted her feet rubbed so much while she was pregnant with our kids.  I have never been the type that wanted my feet touched or rubbed but when I discovered that standing on a baseball and rolling it on my foot would make the pain subside I couldn't believe it.  You know that song "Hurt so Good", that is what it is like.

Those are not the end of my running troubles.  Mile 10 of my first marathon introduced a new world of problems.  I irritated my Illiotibial Band or IT Band also known as runners knee.  I have had zero problems with my knee all year and then BAM!  At the time I was not sure if I would even finish the race.  This one is more troublesome.  With Plantar I can at least run, but with this one it stops me dead in my tracks.  Does not show signs at all while walking but as soon as I start running, boom, its back.  I have tested it out some but I have not run over three miles.  This morning I ran and stopped at a 1.5 miles.  I think it is going to sideline me for a while.


IT Band

Image result for it band
Weird fact, from my research,  This injury is somewhat caused by a weak or under trained gluteus maximus.  Again I think if I had invested more in proper foot wear and took time to cross train on off days from training, I would not be facing this issues.  That red circle is exactly where, again, I have knife stabbing pain.  It is fine while walking but when I run it can stop me in my tracks.  This one I fear will take longer to go away. 

Comments

Popular Posts