Developing my Morning Routine

I have always been a morning person, even in high school when kids are notorious for sleeping late.  I always woke up bright and early.  My reasoning is simple, I have always felt it to be important to make the most of my day and I have always taken pride in being the first up.



Since the summer of 2016 when I finished my masters degree, I wanted to take back my health and fitness.  During grad school, I was consumed by writing papers and other assignments, I let my self go and put on about 10 extra pounds.  I would use the early mornings to do the majority of my school work instead of push-ups and sit ups.  Again, because that is when I operate best and I did not want classes to interfere with family and work.  As a result, my fitness faded,  the sad thing is I was oblivious to how much it actually did.  I think it really hit me was during the summer when I was coaching high school football and we had our picture day.  When our pictures returned, I was completely embarrassed by how I looked.  I became self conscious of my appearance,  and I tried to lift weights in the field house after practices but it did not really do much in regards to losing the weight I gained.  I still ate what I wanted and by the end of the summer, I began grad school again, so any habit I developed went out the door and trying to rely on coaching football in the afternoons to burn calories wasn't the answer either. In January of 2017,  I was able to get to get a job in physical education again which allowed me to move through out the day.  At the time I could barely even do a sit up which is embarrassing when you are asking kids to do something that you barely can do and I made a promise to myself that if I am going to be a P.E. teacher, I need to at least try to look like one and not one of those stereotypical lazy coaches that sits in the corner reading a news paper.

I began simple and I still incorporate this into my mornings.  I admit it was weird at first to start doing push-ups in front of my wife randomly but it had to be done and that is what I did.  I began by trying to do a 100 push ups or sit ups a day.  I would do them in sets of 20 or 25 and some days I would push myself to do more as long as I got a 100.  Some mornings I would run a mile or so but nothing major like during marathon training, but just enough to get my heart rate up. 

My goal most days is to make sure I do something even if I happen to sleep later than normal and I only have 10 or so minutes to get some push ups in.  Something is better than nothing.  I am not a member of gym and I keep it simple.   On any given morning I will run 3 miles, do 3 sets of 20-25 push-ups, 3 sets of 30 body squats, 3 sets of 25 curls or triceps extensions.  I also will mix in pull-ups and just do them till exhaustion.  Sometimes I add a weighted vest to the mix.  I try to keep my workouts random and simple.  When training for the marathon kicks back in, some of these exercises will take the back seat for a while, but I still try to get them in when I can.  Everyone has to start somewhere and this is how I started.


Comments

Popular Posts